Read our 12 tips below to finally start conquering your weight loss, and to stop needing to lose weight quickly every time December comes around.
The answer that most people don’t want to hear is that there is no ‘quick-fix’ to healthy & sustainable weight loss. Those people looking for a magic bullet may find it in the short term, but will also most likely find themselves locked in a never-ending cycle of weight loss and gain throughout their lives, which is often just the loss and gain of water in the body rather than fat.
Fat loss is the goal that people should be focusing on, and for some people, as they gradually replace their fat with toned muscle, they can end up weighing more, looking far better, and with a higher functioning metabolism to boot!
So, as we hit mid November ……. bearing in mind that it takes 21 days to form a new habit…. try a few of our exercise and healthy eating tips below for 21 days.
Come the beginning of December you could be well on the way to a new habit of eating healthy real food, nurturing your body, moving more and feeling fantastic for the party season.
12 Top Tips to NOT gain fat this Christmas.
Try a few of the following small changes in November and let us know in a few weeks how you are getting on?
- Got to a gym class 3 times a week – remember Saturday and Sunday Circuits are free at MPA Fitness.
- Join a gym and learn to lift weights. Build muscle and stop worrying about loosing weight! Most gyms will give a free program to a member when they ask and show them the exercises if they need a bit of help. – Matt will update members programmes on a Friday at MPA if you send us an email.
- Book a few PT sessions to get back into exercise.
- Commit to doing some form of exercise everyday – even if it is walking for 30 minutes.
- Write the exercise you are doing each day down in advance for the next 4 weeks. If you stick to the targets you set yourself for the full 4 weeks you must treat yourself to a nurturing treat like a massage or a facial – you will deserve it. Remember to set an achievable target that will push you, but not be impossible or daunting to achieve. 3 x exercise per week is better than none if that’s what you are doing at the moment.
- Eat healthy food that you cook from scratch.
- Eat more protein, most adults do not eat enough. Aim to eat 100g of protein each day and you will soon find yourself fuller and less in need of a snack.
- Limit the fruit you eat to just 2 portions per day and stick to berries or an apple. Fruit is still full of sugar even if it contains lots of fibre.
- Eat more vegetables.
- Stop drinking cocktails – do you have any idea how much sugar is in most of them??
- If you like to drink at the weekend have a few weeks getting used to drinking a spirit and a low-calorie mixer, such as Vodka & Diet Coke, or Gin & Slim. If you can master this new habit, then this will help you significantly when you are out drinking at the Xmas parties.
- When you go out for dinner try ditching the carbs for a few weeks. Eating delicious meats and fish at restaurants with 2 side portions of beautifully cooked vegetables can be as tasty and satisfying as a Pizza, and NOT induce the sugar spike you get from bread, chips, pizza and pasta which gets you reaching for the dessert menu.
If you would like a few more tips on small habits to change to make you look and feel better we are health and fitness specialists, and welcome everyone, no matter how great they feel their journey might be.
Remember its not about “7lb’s in 7 days” …. it’s about “this time next year,” and how some of the changes you start to make slowly and gradually over the next few months can form habits that will keep you healthy and well for a lifetime.
Do you still want to loose weight fast?
So often at this time of year, with Christmas fast approaching, there is a tendency for many to go for the newest and quickest weight loss diet, with a view to being able to drop ½ stone to a stone quickly, ready to eat drink and be merry for the party season…… Yes we know it’s soooo tempting to loose weight fast… but here are 5 reasons why a quick faddy diet now will leave you starting January in a worse state than you started November.
- As weight loss programmes: diets don’t work! Yes, you lose weight, but about 95% of people who lose weight by dieting will regain it in 1-5 years. Since dieting, by definition, is a temporary food plan, it won’t work in the long run. Moreover, the deprivation of restrictive diets may lead to a diet-overeat or diet-binge cycle. And since your body doesn’t want you to starve, it responds to overly-restrictive diets by slowing your metabolism which of course makes it harder to lose weight regained over Christmas in January.
- Some fad diets advocate following a low-fat regime, regardless of the type of fat consumed. Whilst it is unhealthy to consume a large amount of certain fats in your diet, it can also be very harmful to your health to cut out fat completely. It is important to make sure you include essential fats such as those found in nuts, seeds and oily fish in your diet even when trying to lose weight, not only are they absolutely vital for all round optimal health, they can also help to regulate metabolism and promote healthy weight control.
- Diets which restrict particular food groups, such as The Dukan Diet or Atkins, diets can play havoc with your health and will very likely lead to some unpleasant side effects. Headaches, irritability, hormonal and digestive problems, bad breath and sleep problems can all result from following a very high protein diet which cuts too many other nutrients. In extreme cases they may even cause kidney damage and other more serious irreversible health problems.
- Many people in need of a quick fix will succumb to “magic weight-loss solutions,” such as “special” vitamin powders, shakes, teas or pills. Not only will these leave you with less money, but have you ever noticed that every quick fix diet product claims it will be most effective “if used simultaneously with a healthy diet and regular exercise program?” Skip the magic potions – it’s the healthy eating and exercise that are actually the effective ingredients.
- This time are you really going to make it and stick to the plan to lose 7lb’s in 7 days? The good news is that your inability to succeed on a short-term plan is not your fault. The bad news is that these sorts of diets are set up for failure, which means that when you start eating the mince pies and drinking the Baileys in mid-December, your weight will not only return to what it was, but it’s likely that going forward your body will want to store more fat, just in case you put it into starvation mode again.